Thursday, August 11, 2011

Words for my Insides

"I stop,
gather wet wood,
cut dry shavings, and for her,
whose face
I held in my hands
a few hours, whom I gave back
only to keep holding the space where she was,

I light
a small fire in the rain.

The black
wood reddens, the deathwatches inside
begin running out of time, I can see
the dead, crossed limbs
longing again for the universe, I can hear
in the wet wood the snap
and re-snap of the same embrace being torn.

The raindrops trying
to put the fire out
fall into it and are
changed: the oath broken,
the oath sworn between earth and water, flesh and spirit, broken,
to be sworn again,
over and over, in the clouds, and to be broken again,
over and over, on earth."
-Galway Kinnell

You give, and You take away. My heart will choose to say, Lord blessed be your name. Nothing was ever mine anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones