Tuesday, June 29, 2010

And This Much I Know: On Hearing from God

God is good. I'll begin with that.

I am desperately listening for God's voice and direction in my life. Sometimes, it's hard to distinguish whether my doubts are halting a situation I thought was a certainty (grad school), or if it's God closing a door or saying a "not now" to the process. Sometimes, it's hard to distinguish if it's my own excitement spurring me on in a direction (a year long mission trip around the world), or if it's God giving a green light.

Some things God has been teaching me this week via friends and family speaking into my life, words of wisdom from my prayer group, and the voice of the Lord:

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:14

Wait passionately for God, don't leave the path. He'll give you your place in the sun while you watch the wicked lose it. Psalm 37:34


God goes before us to make a path. Follow Jesus, and you'll find your direction. Take a step of faith at some point - it's easier for God to steer a moving ship. He weighs the motives of our heart. He's not a God of confusion; he leads us well - he's the Good Shepherd. He'll find a way to get us in his plan. God always wants to communicate with us unceasingly. Wait expectantly. Command the lies to leave. Don't doubt in the dark what God has told you in the light. God works out everything for his glory.

Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure everything out on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track. Don't assume that you know it all. Run to God! Proverbs 3:5-7

We can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good. Romans 8:28

You hem me in - behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me. Psalm 139:5

Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart's desires. Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust him, and he will help you. He will make your innocence radiate like the dawn, and the justice of your cause will shine like the noonday sun. Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act.  Psalm 37:4-7

Please pray for me as I'm learning to discern the voice of God and make some pretty long-term decisions.

1 comment:

  1. i love you and will pray for you. your blog continually puts tears into my eyeballs.

    ReplyDelete

About Me


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones