Tuesday, February 9, 2010

old people everywhere

Mitch and I couldn't buy our train tickets leaving Bangkok fast enough. We were in such a hurry to leave that we didn't bother finding out how we'll know when we're at our stop. We planned to go to Petchaburi to see a couple of wats built in caves. After a few hours on the sweaty train, Mitch started getting up at every stop to see where we were, but since we were in the back of the train, we couldn't see the station at all. I was too distracted with the little Thai boy who was sitting in my lap playing with my camera and looking through my books (upside down I might add). Every time he saw a picture of a wat, he did a little wai which is a bow of respect. The kid was around three years old! Before I got off the train he hugged me, and as it pulled away he stuck his arms out of the window towards me. I was more than a little tempted to bring him with me. As we passed Petchaburi with an "oh well" shrug, we looked out the window and saw an elephant in the street. Now I was a little more disappointed that we hadn't gotten off. I cannot wait to ride one!

We got off at the next stop called Hua Hin which is apparently the place to be if you're a 55+ year old British couple or single man. The place is swarming with them, and let me tell you, they have no shame in flirting with Thai girls half their age. Dragging our suitcases through the tourists' overly tan throngs, we found a place to stay. . . on a pier over the ocean. Falling asleep to the sound of the tide directly under you is not a bad deal. It's about ten degrees cooler here than Bangkok, and the sky once again looks like a sky instead of exhaust fumes.

friend from the train


beach lizard

plus, we're in our new home now, so update coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones